Located at the head of the Broadkill River, Milton was first settled in 1672 by English Colonists. The town was known by various names until 1807, when it was named for the English poet, John Milton. The Delaware General Assembly passed the charter that recognized The Town of Milton as a municipality in 1945. History and Milton’s shipbuilding heritage remain very important to the town, which is home to some of the finest Victorian and Colonial architecture in Delaware. Many of the homes have been restored to their original form, particularly those on Union and Federal streets. Milton has 198 structures on the Federal Register Historic District and its history is preserved in the Lydia Black Cannon Museum, the Governor James Carey home, the Chestnut Street Cemetery, and the Governor David Hazzard Mansion. The Hazzard House, and Gov. James Ponder House were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. The Milton Historic District was added in 1982. Today, Milton serves local residents and summer tourists in the Milton, Broadkill Beach and Primehook Beach areas with family operated businesses and new office and shopping complexes. Several local businesses in the area are served by the Delaware Coast Line Railway which operates a branch that extends to Milton from Ellendale.
Milton Real Estate Listings
Active Listings in Milton
- 25345 Branch Lane Milton, DE 19968
Posted on January 21, 2014 at 5:19 pm by Bill Cullin